To day was definitely “one of those days”…you know, where you wake up already tired and though nothing *major* happened, it just seemed like a bunch of little things went awry from beginning to end. I spilled stuff, dropped things, work apps weren’t working, getting my butt kicked in Words with Friends (haha)…I knew by 3pm that it was going to be a “comfort food” type of night and just happen to see a post for Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole earlier today that I wanted to try. I personally have nothing against Velveeta or Cheese Whiz, but I never cook with it so I was happy to see a version that used real cheese. I of course took my liberties with the recipe (when do I not?) and came up with a slightly altered version that I am really happy with!
Eeerr…and I needed food STAT before I turned into an emotional basket case, so I skipped the oven time and just let it simmer a few minutes on the stove, it was awesome.
Chicken, Broccoli & Rice casserole with Cheddar cheese – serves 4 to 6
- 1 TBLS butter
- 2 uncooked chicken breasts – cubed/bite-size
- 2-3 fresh broccoli crowns – chopped (you could also use 2 bags of frozen chopped broccoli)
- 1/2 an onion – diced small
- 1 – 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning/Lawry’s seasoning salt (optional)
- 1 can cream of chicken or mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup Hellman’s (Best Foods) mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 packed cups of cooked white rice
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add in the first 5 ingredients and saute until the chicken is just done.
- Add in the next 4 ingredients and gently mix until well incorporated. Add in the rice, blend well, and turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.