Ever since I tried this at Cracker Barrel I’ve wanted to try duplicating it at home, it really was the favorite part of my breakfast meal. It goes well with any meal where you would serve potatoes, even along side a juicy steak! This comes together fast in one large mixing bowl and can be pre-mixed a day ahead, just store in the fridge until you are ready to slip it into the oven. If you want it creamier and richer, replace 1-2 TBLS of sour cream with an equal amount of softened cream cheese (a little goes a long way towards creaminess, so don’t go too crazy!).
This dish has now become a tradition in our home whenever we are having special breakfast or brunch, my daughter even has this on the “menu” for one of her birthday meals. And I say “one” because she has all 3 meals planned out, haha.
Tip: If you shop at Sam’s Club, pick up a big bag of hash browns there and weight out the 18oz. Otherwise you can use the normal 16oz. bags from your normal grocer and just omit a little bit of the soup.
1-Bowl Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole (serves 6-8 people):
- 18 oz. frozen hashbrowns
- scant 1/4 cup of finely diced onions
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
- 1 packed cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 pan and set aside (if you use a larger pan just reduce the cooking time).
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix well using a large rubber spatula. At first it will seem like there are too many hash browns and not enough “wet” mix, but just keep mixing, using the back of the spatula to press or “smoosh” it all together. Soon it will resemble one big mound of potatoes.
- Press the mix into the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until nice and hot. Serve immediately.