I love eggs, but after a while the normal routine of scrambled, fried or omelets get a little boring. We just happened to have some blacks beans in the fridge, left over from the black bean burgers we made last week, so I decided to whip them up into a quesadilla 🙂 Tasty, filling and easy to prepare, it goes well with some salsa fresca or a little sour cream!
INGREDIENTS – 2 SERVINGS:
- 1 TBLS butter, olive oil, or coconut oil
- 1/2 cooked organic black beans
- 1/4 cup diced organic onions or bell pepper
- 1 clove of organic garlic (optional)
- 4 pastured eggs – beaten
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese – optional
- 2 large flour tortillas
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon of butter or oil and let it warm up. Then add in the beans, diced onion or bell pepper, and the garlic. Saute for a 2-3 minutes or until the onions/bell peppers are just getting tender.
- Add the eggs into the pan and quickly scramble them with the beans and onions. As soon as the eggs are done cooking, put the entire mixture into a bowl, season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add in 1 teaspoon of butter or oil and let it warm up.
- Spread the butter or oil around the pan, then place 1 tortilla in it. Gently spoon 1/2 of the egg mixture onto only ONE SIDE of the tortilla, sprinkle on 1/2 of the cheese, then fold the top over. Grill it for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, then flip it over to grill the other side. Repeat this step for the 2nd tortilla.
- Serve while hot with salsa fresca (we only use 1/2 of an onion and add in some cumin) and a dollop of sour cream.