With school just around the corner, that means our kids now have sports practice after school on a daily basis. Which also means snacks and drinks need to be packed, as they get quite a workout! In the past we would have packed them some type of processed snack along with a Gatorade, but gone are those days as we now KNOW BETTER. Ironically we encourage our kids to exercise and stay in good health, only to turn around and give them a drink that contains high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, artificial colors and preservatives…so illogical!
The good news is, you can make your own hydration drink at home, very easily, and for much less then the cost of those commercial sports drinks! You know EXACTLY what is going into it and can create different flavors for variety.
The basic breakdown:
- natural sweetener = the carb
- 100% pure juice = the carb AND the flavor
- the natural salt with trace minerals = the electrolytes
- filtered water = for hydration and the bulk of the drink
- just under 1 3/4 cups filtered water
- just under 1/4 cup 100% pure juice – lime, lemon, apple, grape, cranberry, etc…
- 1-2 TBLS 100% pure honey or maple syrup (may not need this with the sweeter juices)
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp pink himalayan or real salt (with trace minerals intact, NOT table salt!)
Simply pour all of the ingredients into a 16oz water bottle and shake it up. Adjust it to your liking and off you go, all natural hydration with none of the icky stuff!