My family loves when I make pasta with alfredo sauce, buyt I don’t make it too often just because of how bad it is for you! I’ve skinnied it down over the years, but they always prefer the full-fat version, lol. So a week or so ago I had a craving for it, but didn’t have any cream on hand. however, I did remember seeing a recipe calling for cream cheese in place of the cream, and decided to give it a go!
It turned out really good! My teenager scarfed down 2 bowls and took the rest for lunch the next day 🙂 The recipe below was inspired by Alfredo Sauce, off of recipezaar.com. Try it with sliced chicken breast and peas, YUM! If you do decide to add in other ingredients, just cook them ahead of time and then add them into the sauce pot the last couple minutes to heat them back up. Honestly, this hit the spot and I think taste as good as some restaurant versions out there. Of course we are big fans of homemade too, so perhaps we are a little biased 😉
Alfredo Sauce made with Cream Cheese (serves 4-6):
- 3-4 TBLS of butter
- 8 oz. of cream cheese-softened is easier
- 8 oz. of milk or half and half (I used skim milk)
- 1/3 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves-pressed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, add in the butter and allow it to melt completely. Add in the pressed garlic and let it cook for about a minute, be careful not to let it burn.
- Add in the cream cheese and stir it around a little to help it melt. Once it has softened up go ahead and add in the milk or half and half.
- Continue to stir until the sauce is well blended, then add in the Parmesan cheese then salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve while hot over your favorite noodles.