This recipe goes back to my low-carbing days, and is one of my favorite quick side dishes for a raw veggie. It’s great for picnics and parties, as it can be made a day or 2 ahead of time, and seems to be a big hit with the crowd. There are a few different versions of this salad, most of them have added ingredients like cheese, sunflower seeds, raisins instead of cranberries, and either bacon or hard salami. This is the simplified version and you can dress it up however you’d like, also really good with the addition of cheese tortellini or cauliflower.
To keep it lowest in carbs you can sub in splenda for the sugar.
Quick Broccoli, Almond and Cranberry Salad (about 6 servings):
- 1/2 cup Hellman’s or Best Foods mayonnaise
- 2-3 TBLS sugar
- 1 1/2-2 TBLS white vinegar
- approx. 1 head of broccoli florets-cut to bite sized (I use about a 1/3 of a bag from sam’s club)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, like Craisins
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- Mix first 3 ingredients together really well in a large mixing bowl. Adjust to your taste. I like mine on the sweet AND tart side, so I use the full 3 TBLS sugar and 2 TBLS vinegar.
- Add in 3/4 of the broccoli and all cranberries and mix well. Depending on how “saucy” you like your salad, you may want to add a little more or less then the 1 head of broccoli. I use about 1/3 of a sam’s club bag as I don’t like too saucy, just enough to cover the florets and none of my dressing to pools at the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover and chill until ready to eat. Garnish with nuts and/or cheese right before eating so they don’t get soggy/mushy.