Back in February I posted my recipe for Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, which me and my daughter just love…but not as much as we love this bread! For goodness sakes, it’s double chocolate we’re talking about here! So what’s the big secret? Well, for one thing I am still debating wheather or not to add it to our line-up of goodies in our Bliss Candies shop, but I’m so busy right now I can’t even think about that until next year. Don’t tell my husband though, he says I should never give out “secret” recipes, lol. For another thing, this is almost all whole wheat but it doesn’t taste like it is, so the kids will never know unless you tell them! And the last secret is, this moist and fluffy bread is made with the buttermilk/sour cream substitution I always use, and it comes out perfect every time.
Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Banana Bread Recipe-1 loaf:
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter or vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas-mashed
- scant 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 TBLS white flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/2-2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8 x 4.5 bread pan, set aside.
- Mix the vinegar and milk together in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter/oil, sugar, and vanilla together. Add in the eggs, mashed bananas, and milk and blend well.
- In a separate bowl mix all of the dry ingredients, including the chocolate chips.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.