So I found some fresh cauliflower at a really good price last weekend and decided to make up one of my favorites, low-carb Tuna “Noodle” Casserole! It basically has all the same ingredients but replaces noodles with cauliflower instead. Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed! Even my kids love this, though they still find it quite odd that they are eating cauliflower instead of noodles, lol. I adapted te below recipe from this Tuna Casserole recipe, found on recipezaar.com.
Again, frozen cauliflower can be used instead of fresh, but I really prefer to use fresh if possible. I just think the texture and flavor of fresh is so much better!
Tuna “Noodle” Cauliflower Casserole recipe:
- 1 small head of cauliflower-chopped
- 1 can cream of celery, mushroom, or chicken soup
- 1-2 stalks of celery finely diced
- 1/2 an onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup cream or mayonnaise ( I used Hellmann’s mayo)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese-shredded
- 1 10oz. can of tuna-drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese-shredded
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the chopped cauliflower until al dente-just tender. Drain well and then place the cauliflower in a large casserole dish.
- Combine everything else in the casserole dish along with the cauliflower and mix well. Top with remaining 1/3 cup cheddar cheese.
- Place casserole dish into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbling.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.