I have to admit, I like having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning, every morning. It’s not about the caffeine, as sometimes I drink decaf, but it’s more about the taste, smell, and really it’s just part of my morning “ritual”. Most of the time we have Hazelnut or Vanilla Hazelnut, sometimes it’s a smooth breakfast blend, whatever it is I don’t like it too strong, or black, YUCK! My cups of coffee aren’t nearly as sugary as they used to be when I first started drinking coffee, but I suppose many would say that I do prefer it on the sweet side. Hey, I bake and make candy as part of my living, it’s pretty obvious I like sweet things.
Though I love a fresh pot of coffee, as it smells so good, there are days when I am just too LAZY to make coffee, or wait for it. On those days, I reach for my favorite instant coffee. Now before you poo-poo at the idea, you have to realize that this is not your normal freeze-dried Folgers, no offense to those that like that sort of stuff. I’m talking about the 3-in-1 Asian instant coffee packs that you can only get from the Asian grocers or online. These have creamer and sugar already in them, as well as the delicious tasting coffee! We take these with us whenever we go on trips and often times my husband and I actually prefer these over American coffee.
If you have ever had an Iced coffee from a Thai restaurant, these instant packaets taste just like those, but hot and not quite as sweet. In fact, you can make your very own Thai iced coffee at home for a FRACTION of the price using these instant packets! The particular brand of 3-in-1 coffee we buy costs less then $4 a bag, and there are 20 servings in each bag. That works out to be a mere 0.20 cents per cup of coffee! Pretty darn tasty for 0.20 cents if you ask me 🙂
I LOVE Thai Iced Coffee’s from the restaurants, but they cost almost $4 EACH depending on where you go. I know to some that’s the standard price for a cup of good coffee, but I can’t afford to spend that much on my drinks, LOL. So here’s an easy way to make your very own iced coffee at home, for a FRACTION of the price! Once you start making these you’ll be hooked, so I’m warning you now!
Thai Iced Coffee recipe:
- 1 package of instant 3-in-1 Asian coffee, my favorite brand is pictured
- 1 coffee mug of hot water – about 3/4 of the water it normally calls for as the ice will melt and add more water at the end
- 1 tall glass filled 3/4 of the way with ice
- about 2 TBLS of sweetened condennsed milk-fat free or regular
- Mix up the contents of 1 instant coffee packet into the mug of hot water. Add in 1 TBLS of the condensed milk and taste. If it is not sweet enough then add a little more.
- Pour the drink over the ice and give it a quick stir. To avoid it from becoming too watered down I usually take out all of the ice once the beverage is cold.
- Drink and enjoy!