So, where’s the picture, right? Well, I made this for our Easter get together and honestly I forgot to snap a photo before I put it out, big mistake. As it was immediately tackled and devoured within minutes, no joke. Too bad for the ones who decided to stay out on the trampoline for a few extra minutes, they missed out! So once I make it again, and I will be as everyone loved it, especially my hubby, I’ll get a picture up. But for now, I just couldn’t keep holding out on you guys, this is a must try and so simple to put together. No baking required! Taste-wise it’s like a cheesecake-y version of a strawberry shortcake, so good and just tastes like Summer.
I originally got this recipe off of recipezaar.com, it’s called Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle. For those of you who don’t know what a trifle is, it’s basically a fancy word for a layered dessert. They even have special “trifle” bowls which really makes the dessert look extra fancy, no matter what’s really in it, but it’s certainly not necessary! I just used a pretty glass bowl that we had, kind of like a fruit bowl. And of course I altered the recipe a bit to suit our tastes and the supplies we had on hand, so my version is below. My only suggestion is that you eat this within 4-6 hours of making it, so the cake doesn’t get a chance to get too soggy or mealy.
Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle recipe for a crowd (feeds at least 12):
- 2 (8 oz.) packages of light cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container of light sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tub of lite Cool Whip, thawed
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 angel food cakes, sliced into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick pieces
- 2 quarts (4 pints) of fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- Place the sliced strawberries and sugar in a large bowl and gently fold a few times to get the sugar distributed. Set aside and allow the juices to come out a little.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar and blend using a mixer. Once it is well combine add in the sour cream and the extracts, mix well and then set aside.
- In a large fruit bowl or trifle bowl, begin the layering starting with the cake. You’ll want to lay down enough cake slices to cover the entire bottom, then add a generous layer of the cream cheese mix, then finally top it off with a layer of strawberries. Continue this layering process until you are out of ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before enjoying.