Cookies are usually my standard fare as far as baked goods go, but lately I have developed a new appreciation for bars. They take less time to put together, don’t require as much attention as far as bake time, and pretty much all cookie recipes work well in bar form. I usually only make one 8×8 pan, so I use 1/2 of a standard cookie recipe and it’s the perfect amount. This one is the bar form on my husbands favorite cookie (which I bake up at least once a month) and I highly suggest using rolled oats instead of quick cook oats. In fact, pretty much anything that calls for oatmeal I prefer the regular rolled oats, the quick-cook kind tends to make things taste drier. However, if all you have on hand is the quick cook oats just add a little less then what is called for.
As a side note: if you do have the time to ball them out for cookie form, I think they taste better that way.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip & Toffee Bars:
- 1/2 cup butter-softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Heath or Skor candy bar chopped up into small bits
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray an 8×8 pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the first 3 ingredients and cream together well. Then add in the egg and vanilla and blend.
- In a separate bowl add the rest of the ingredients, stir well and then combine with sugar & butter mixture. Mix thoroughly and press into the greased pan.
- Bake for 22-23 minutes, allow to cool completely before enjoying! This is one of those recipes that really does taste best cool, not warm.