I’m supposing to be watching/cutting down on my carb intake, trying to lose some much unwanted pounds and all that. But well, old habits (and cravings) die hard and I really wanted a small nibble of something baked. So I decided to make a quick batch of bars and decided on this one, as I had all of the ingredients on hand. I of course altered a recipe I found to try and make it a little healthier (makes me feel less guilty for cheating) and came up with these:
Whole Wheat Double-Chip Oatmeal Scotchies:
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 ts baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- a big pinch of cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cups oatmeal
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 6 TBLS softened butter
- 1/3 white sugar
- 1/3 brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 8 x 8 inch square baking pan and set aside.
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a larger bowl or mixing bowl cream the butter with the sugars. Add in the egg and vanilla and blend well.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the the mixing bowl with the wet ingredients and thoroughly blend.
- Pour the mix into the baking pan, evenly distribute it and press down firmly.
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes or until top is golden brown. Allow to cool before cutting.