I decided to try another bread recipe, as I was really looking for something we could use for whole sandwiches, plus I wanted one that was 100% whole wheat. And as usual, my search began and ended on my favorite recipe site, www.recipezaar.com. I found this recipe extremely easy to make, and like most other breads there are only a few ingredients. I must confess, I made a loaf of this yesterday and now it’s all gone. We made some delicious Pepperoni and Turkey Grilled Cheese sandwiches with this, check my post for the secret ingredient that turns a normal grilled cheese into something you’ll crave!
Preparation: This comes together quickly and only needs to be hand kneaded for about 2 minutes, I like that! It takes a short 5 minutes to get everything mixed together and ready for the first rise, which takes about 45 minutes. The second rise is about 40 minutes, then it’s ready for the oven. I am listing the recipe directly in this post rather then linking to the original recipe as I did make a couple changes.
Baking & Appearance: This comes out a rich red- brown in color, what you would expect for 100% whole wheat. It bakes up in 36 minutes and can be sliced into almost right away. The size of the loaf is great for sandwiches, and when grilled (for our grilled cheese sandwiches!) it gets a nice & nutty buttery crust (from the large grains in the bread) and melt-in-your-mouth soft underside.
Texture: This has a slightly larger grain look and feel compared to commercial breads, is substantial in taste (like most 100% whole wheat breads) but still soft and moist. It could stand another Tbls or so of honey if you want a slightly sweet background flavor. It smells diving while baking (like butter!) and even once it’s been cooled. I personally love this recipe because it’s so easy and it’s 100% whole wheat without tasting dry or like cardboard!
100% Honey Whole Wheat Bread Recipe (makes 1 loaf):
- 2 1/2 Tbls olive oil
- 2 1/2 Tbls honey
- 1 Tbls molasses
- 1/2 Tbls salt
- generous 1 1/3 cups hot water (about 1 1/3 + 1 Tbls)
- 1 Tbls active dry yeast
- 3 1/3 cups Whole Wheat flour
- 1/2 Tbls of butter
- Place the first 5 ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir until fairly well combined. Add in the yeast and mix well to dissolve.
- Add in 2 cups of the flour and mix well to get lumps out, then add in the remaining flour. Don’t worry if not all of the flour gets worked in, it will all come together once you start kneading it.
- Pour the dough and all the loose flour onto a flat surface and start kneading. Work in the extra flour until the dough is no longer sticky, you should end up using all of the loose flour.
- Place it into a large greased bowl and allow to rise for 45 minutes.
- After the first rising, punch down the dough and work it into a loaf shape. Lightly grease or spray a bread pan and place the dough in it and allow to rise for 40 minutes. Pretty much the height it has right before you put it in the oven is what you will end up with once baked.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and bake the bread for 36-38 minutes on the bottom rack. Once it is done go ahead and spread the butter over the top crust, this will soften it up quite a bit.
- Allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing into it, great with honey and butter! Make sure it is completely cooled before storing in an airtight container.