My family is a big fan of cream-based sauces with their pasta, but I don’t make it often just due to the fact that it is so unhealthy! I’ve tried to lighten it up a bit, but if I doctor it too much they can sense it and then they complain. If only they knew I was doing it out of love and trying to prolong their life! Anyways, last time we went shopping we picked up some Jumbo Mushroom Ravioli’s (but you can use any ravioli or pasta) along with a a big bag of Roma Tomatoes. I don’t really use tomatoes in cooking a whole lot, so I decided to try using a few in our usual Alfredo sauce, the result tasted fantastic! This sauce isn’t overly thick but it’s still very rich, a little goes a long way!
Tomato Cream Sauce recipe:
- 2-3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 pint (2 cups) half and half (I used 1 1/2 cups skim milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream)
- 3-4 roma tomatoes-chopped
- 1-2 teaspoon garlic powder (start with 1 and taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese plus extra for garnishing
- Place butter in a sauce pot and melt over medium heat.
- Meanwhile combine the half and half and chopped tomatoes into a blender and blend until smooth. You may still have some tomato chunks at the end, you can leave them or strain them out.
- Pour the half and half and tomato mixture into the sauce pot with the butter. Turn heat up a little, whisk in the garlic powder and allow it to get to a simmer.
- Once it is simmering you can add in the grated cheese, salt and pepper and stir until just blended. At this point you can turn off the heat and serve OR add in a little cornstarch if you feel the sauce is too thin. I personally add in a little and it doesn’t seem to affect the taste or flavor.