My family has a love-hate relationship with bananas, and it drives me B-a-N-a-N-a-S! The kids always tell me “we want some bananas!” and so like a good mom I pick some up. Oh sure, they eat a couple, but then the rest are left alone and forgotten about. Seriously, the girls will only eat them if there is still some green to them (yuck!) and it seems after day 2 everyone ignores them. So….often times we have spotty, even black, bananas sitting on our counter. I hate to throw them away so I whipped a batch of muffins today. These are pretty healthy and are very moist and tasty!
Oh, and I used our first thawed frozen egg in these!
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins (makes 10-12):
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed up
- scant 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the brown sugar and bananas in a large bowl. Then add in the oil, vanilla and egg and blend well.
- In another large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the banana mixture into the dry ingredients bowl and mix until just combined.
- Lightly grease or spray a muffin tin and fill 3/4 full (yields 10 muffins) or 2/3 full (yields 12 muffins).
- I filled my muffin tins 3/4 full and they took 20 minutes to bake. If you are baking 12 check them at about 17 minutes.